Adjoa's Contribution to Pam's Book

It was quite a creative journey working on the eight pages for Pam's altered book. I eagerly accepted each challenge. I ended up painting a watercolor portrait and landscape; drew a portrait using graphite and engineered a pop-up to make it stand; painted the cover in acrylic; made a gelatin print for the back page; used a recycled etching; and wrote a poem. All my explorations were to make sure I gave Pam's book Retablos of Resistance, the justice it deserved. In her directions, she urged us to create visual and written narratives about "strength in challenging times." I decided to focus on African American women and their role in the suffragist movement. Looking through the choices she provided to get us started, I immediately chose the spread with the words Highland Beach on it because of its historical significance, and because of my experience living there from 2009 - 2012. The pages also contained a letter-pressed quote from Frederick Douglass, who was a strong supporter of women's suffrage. Thank you Pam, for such a compelling theme for your book and for the opportunity to contribute to it.
- Adjoa Burrowes  










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gail's contribution into Aziza's Book

GAIL'S CONTRIBUTION TO KAMALA'S BOOK

Gail's Two-Page Entry for Francine's Book