Be the Coffee!---Pam Lawton's response to Julee's book

     After the magical meet-up at Lilian T. Burwell's home---I cradled Julee's book in my arms as I made the short walk down the hill to my home in Venice Beach.  It sat in my studio/office until Labor Day---when I knew I'd have time to really reflect on the creative innovation of Julee's box book inspired by the short story, 'be the coffee.'  I love that the book is all black and white---as a printmaker, I feel most comfortable with black and white imagery.  The idea for my response didn't take long, as I knew I wanted to create a woodcut for the book.  I found a block that had been given to me 25 years ago that I set aside for the right project.  Well, this is it.  I decided to create a self-portrait as part of my response---you'll have to wait for the finished product to see how I connect my portrait to the concept---but here's my in-process work.

Pam





Comments

  1. A piece of sacred wood, a self-portrait carved out, your interpretation of the coffee (adding tea to the conversation---rich herbal healing!!!! I love it and the fact that you didn't find black and white limiting but inspiring---how wonderful! Thanks for the uplift during a very "down" time....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gail's contribution into Aziza's Book

GAIL'S CONTRIBUTION TO KAMALA'S BOOK

Gail's Two-Page Entry for Francine's Book