Adjoa's "We the Coffee" print for Julee's book


I worked this evening on Julee's book. Her book concept was powerful and intriguing - entitled "We the Coffee." She urged us in the directions to make black and white images. She thoughtfully organized all the materials in her package that included card stock painted in a black design; three 8 x 8 in. white papers to choose from to create our designs on; extra sheets; and a bunch of beautiful handmade and textured papers to collage with if we wished. Julee designed a printed pamphlet for each artist with our name on it and one of her illustrations on the cover. Inside the printed pamphlet was the re-adapted coffee story that informed the theme of her book.

I decided to make a print - a gelatin print using black Akua ink for her book. I loved the paper choices Julee provided, and chose a smooth paper with minimum tooth. It printed beautifully, allowing all the subtle layers of tones to show. I need to ask Julee the name of the paper. I created two other monotypes and texted them to Julee for feedback. We both liked the tones of the first one. While I was printing it, in the intuitive way I work, a subtle image of a winged bird emerged in the upper right hand corner. This soaring bird for me stood as a metaphor for the Black woman's rise out of adversity. Like coffee steeping in a pot, as the story goes, we continue to get stronger. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gail's contribution into Aziza's Book

GAIL'S CONTRIBUTION TO KAMALA'S BOOK

Gail's Two-Page Entry for Francine's Book