MICHELE GODWIN'S BOOK. A contribution from Aziza Claudia Gibson-Hunter

A chance to experiment with the figure! I had a linoleum block that I had begun but was incomplete. I decided to cut back into it and print it using black ink on a translucent Japanese paper. Once the ink was dry, I cut sections of the white paper away,  I made textured papers by painting on them with acrylic paints. Some of the papers were printed using acrylic paint on linoleum blocks with patters cut into them.  I cut the shapes of  adinkra symbols  from the papers to give an additional layer of context http://www.adinkra.org/htmls/adinkra_index.htm. Using a white pencil, I drew the mask and adinkra symbol for a wind house on the back of the woman's shirt. A wind house is a Ghanaian architectural structure made to resist winds. I see my people as  people that have a powerful ability to resist adversity. Both the COVID-19 and the American political/social climate have been tremendously challenging. We Survive.  The title of this piece is FORWARD!

Painted and printed papers created over the years


Adinkra symbols cut from the papers, and placed next to the linoleum print
 
 
  

                   Cut away section of the linoleum print and add bits of the papers that were printed and      

                   painted. Then drew into the print with white pencil.Complete....Title: FORWARD!

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gail's contribution into Aziza's Book

GAIL'S CONTRIBUTION TO KAMALA'S BOOK

Gail's Two-Page Entry for Francine's Book