PAM'S CONTRIBUTION TO: Aziza's Book




I love the black paper Aziza provided for us!  Like Julee's book it prompted me to create a completely black and white piece.  Our project has focused on reflection---on ourselves, the current times, and the future.  This made me think about creating a piece that is a mirror-like reflection. The black paper got me thinking in photographic terms--positive and negative images. In reflecting on myself and the need to be even more resilient due to the personal and global events I experienced in 2020, I used the self-portrait I made for Julee's book and printed it with white ink on the black background and black ink on a white background. To illustrate the concept of resiliency in current and future times I used the thistle as a metaphor. Similar to the dandelion, the thistle, the national flower of Scotland, is a tough, medicinal, and beautiful weed, but with very wicked thorns (don't mess with me)!  This image I also printed in white ink on black paper and black ink on white paper. It represents both my Scottish and West African heritage ---peoples with a long history of resiliency under constant persecution.  I made a little book within the book. When you open the little book white pop-up flowers appear on a black background.  Each flower contains a word describing the characteristics I feel have come to the forefront in this challenging time: Resist, Coexist, Subsist, Dismiss, Assist, Remiss, Insist.






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gail's contribution into Aziza's Book

Be the Coffee!---Pam Lawton's response to Julee's book

GAIL'S CONTRIBUTION TO KAMALA'S BOOK